Tennis ace Novak Djokovic resists 'extreme' measures for US Open

Novak Djokovic thinks COVID-19 safety rules 'extreme' for tennis tournament

Novak Djokovic thinks COVID-19 safety rules 'extreme' for tennis tournament

Tennis world No. 1 Novak Djokovic has said participating in the U.S. Open would be an impossible task due to the "extreme" COVID-19 protocols in place for the tournament at Flushing Meadows in NY.

The US Open is set to start on August 31 in NY but there have been reports it could be moved to another location if the city is unable to stage the tournament.

The three-time US Open champion revealed that the rules would prohibit players from entering Manhattan and that they would "have to sleep in hotels at the airport" and "be tested twice or three times per week".

World number one Djokovic thinks some of the safety protocols are "extreme", and having only one person on site with him would be "really impossible".

"I mean, you need your coach, then a fitness trainer, then a physiotherapist".

Novak Djokovic, of Serbia, is fretting about "harsh" restrictions on players' entourages and other "extreme" changes proposed for the U.S. Open, if it is played starting in August.

World number two Rafael Nadal said on Thursday he now has little desire to travel to NY to defend his US Open title.

The news has been received with great enthusiasm by middle-ranking players, who have been hurt far more than the Big Three by the unavailability of prize money since the professional tour was suspended in early March.

In an interview on Serbia's Pvra TV, three-time U.S. Open singles champion Novak Djokovic revealed some of the precautionary measures that could be in place when the U.S. Open kicks off on August 24. "Today", he said, "I will say, 'No.' In a couple of months?" He thinks that other players may have a tough time accepting those terms.

Wall Street's rally zooms higher after surprise gain in jobs
Rising U.S. -China tensions and the possibility of second waves of coronavirus infections are other reasons for caution, they say. Labor Department's more comprehensive May jobs report, which is expected to show unemployment soaring to a historic 19.7%.

'There has to be a bit of give and take from the players.

While Nadal seemed to favor a postponement of the US Open, world No. 1 Novak Djokovic slammed the various safety criteria in discussion.

But Evans (pictured above) said: 'I don't think having one person of your team only allowed is a big deal.

- Limited ability to move around NY, including keeping players at hotels near the tournament site in Queens and not letting them go to Manhattan. His argument there is not really valid for the rest of the draw apart from the real top guys.

He was speaking a day after world No. 2 Rafael Nadal had expressed similar reservations over the US Open, the main draw for which starts on Aug 31.

"It is not all about money, there is health involved here but if it is safe enough, having just a coach is not good enough reason not to be going to a tournament in my opinion".

Last week, Nadal was asked whether he would be at the U.S. Open.

Australian star Ashleigh Barty shared her concerns as well for committing to travel to the U.S. for any events, should they remain on the 2020 schedule.

Latest News